Monday, February 3, 2014

Beef Up Your Bra Straps


Fix For Weak or Worn Bra Straps

I love pretty lingerie! Who doesn't? But if you've ever gone 
bra shopping and come home with one that doesn't fit right, 
it can be very frustrating. 


This is exactly what happened with my latest purchase. After wearing my pretty new bra for awhile, it became apparent that the straps needed some beefing up. We live an hour from the city, and I really didn't feel like running back to make an exchange, so I came up with a solution. 


This quick fix took thirty minutes. I used plush elastic since I had it on hand, but any stable elastic slightly wider then the straps will do, 
thread to match the bra, pins, scissors, and a sewing machine.


Pin the elastic on the inside of your bra strap and extend it 
into the top of the bra 1/2" - 3/4"


Here is how it will look from the right side. 
Pin it all the way to the slider adjuster.


Put your zig zag to a medium-wide setting and your stitch length to zero. Zig zag in one spot just past where the bra strap is attached. Now increase your stitch length to a medium setting. Zig zag all the way to the slider adjustment, set the stitch length at zero again, and stitch a few times in that spot. 


                       Snip the threads and the excess elastic.                         


Repeat for the other strap and you are finished!

When the bra is on, the neutral color of the elastic blends with skin tone and is hardly noticeable. Now my bra straps are stronger and feel much more comfortable, and I don't have to burn the gas or use my blogging time running to the city. 

Quick, easy, convenient!

Have a great day, and Happy Sewing!

Val

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant!! I've got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for tomorrow afternoon that links to your tutorial:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-reinforce-your-bra-straps/2014/08/25/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...